I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Gospel Message Day 8

Faith, Part 7

For my last day (for now) concerning faith, I thought it ironic that my scripture reading for today was Alma 32--a very huge chapter concerning faith.

I love the symbolism of planting a seed. Faith is a principle of action. We have to do something to obtain it and to grow it. So, the planting of the seed (or the beginning of looking into/researching/learning about an aspect of the Gospel) takes place. But one can't just leave a seed and expect it to grow, survive, and thrive on its own. It might sprout, but left on its own it will dwindle and die. The same with our budding faith. We have to nourish it by continuing to learn more about that aspect of the Gospel we are trying out as well as trying to be obedient in relation to what we know to be right. A good seed will eventually produce good fruit after it has been nourished. Faith in something good will produce a good fruit.

My favorite part of this chapter is something someone pointed out years ago in verse 28:
Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.

See the last part? The good seed will
SWELL within,
ENLARGE the soul,
ENLIGHTEN our understanding,
and be DELICIOUS.

S
E
E
D

Love it! :-)

In my Young Women days, we often sang a simple song about this very thing. I still like the message:

1. What is belief? What is faith?
How can they help me to know what is true?
How can I know what is true?
Chorus
Plant a seed in your heart; something beautiful will start to grow.
Though it’s small give it time, give it love and give it light, till it fills your heart and mind!
Plant a seed. Plant a seed.
2. Experiment upon the word and prove God’s promises.
Watch and wait patiently, till your faith grows mighty as a tree.
Plant a seed.
Chorus
(Sheet music found here.)

The Savior is a Master Gardener, and He has been helping me in my gardening skills. My days are and have been constantly full of planting seeds of faith and nourishing them. And even in my short lifetime, I have been blessed with magnificent, fruitful gardens and groves. It has made my life wonderful, beautiful, and joyful.

No comments: