I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Gospel Message Day 11

Conference Reflections

It didn't seem "right" to draw a topic from The Dog when I am bursting with topics and messages and feelings after this wonderful weekend of General Conference. Conference weekends are two of my very favorite times of the year. I am renewed and uplifted and ready to be a better person. I love it--nothing compares to feeling like this! So I wanted to share just a few things that are fresh on my mind.

(Please note: These are my personal notes of what I got from Conference. Personal notes = personal revelation: what the Spirit impressed on me was of use for me right now, and not necessarily what the speakers meant or even said. That's one of the best things about the Spirit and personal revelation. It is tailored to us.)

All the talks were, of course, very good. The messages were wonderful and timely. And I look forward to when all are available both electronically and in print so that I can further peruse and study them in depth. But right now, 3 talks stand out, and for 3 separate reasons.

Elder Jorg Klebingat's talk was so powerful in its straightforward, succinct message and delivery. The list he gave of how we can increase our peaceful assurance and spiritual confidence will be something I refer to often:
1. Take responsibility for your own spiritual well-being
2. Take responsibility for your own physical well-being.
3. Embrace voluntary, whole-hearted obedience. (Do the right things for the right reasons.)
4. Become really, really good at repenting thoroughly and immediately.
5. Become really, really good at forgiving. (Don't hold grudges; don't be easily offended.)
6. Accept trials, set backs, and "surprises" as they come. (Force a smile and gaze heavenward.)

Elder Richard G. Scott's talk was I think the talk most meant for me at this time in my life. He referred to struggles and challenges that we have. And while I do face my own right now, they are not quite debilitating as they have been previously. I am at a very good point in life and my outlook is pretty good. Things aren't exactly how I would wish and I am certainly enduring a lot of stress and disappointments. But I am filled with joy. Still, as Elder Scott gave us 4 tools to help us overcome challenges, the Spirit let me know that they were things I needed to work at being better at using.
1. Prayer. Make time every day to pray. Tell him everything that concerns you--the big things and the mundane.
2. Use/Study the scriptures and words of the living prophets.
3. Have (or in my case as a single adult attend) weekly Family Home Evening.
4. Go to the temple.
They are things I know about. And things I try to include in my life, and work at. But I feel that a solution to a lot of the things I'm dealing with will be answered and taken care of by re-focusing my efforts on these 4 simple things.

Elder Bednar's talk was so perfect considering what I am trying to do on this blog in this year: sharing  Gospel messages. He addressed his talk to those who are not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, concerning why LDS members keep sharing their beliefs with those not of our faith. I grew up outside of Utah, where I was very much the minority in my faith. I would hope that those I was around knew that I was a member of the LDS Church, and would hope they didn't find me obnoxious in always talking about the Church and my beliefs. Honestly, the main reason I did then and do now is because I love them. And I want to share with them that which is most precious to me--which has brought me peace, joy, healing, and strength.

As Elder Bednar put it, our desire to share is a reflection of how important these truths are to us. And later, after a delightful story about his 2 sons, that I immediately want to share with others that which has helped me. Once the talk is available, I will link to it here. I strongly encourage you to read it, especially if you are one my friends who is not a member of the LDS Church. This talk fully explains why I want to share what I believe with you. Why I keep this blog. Why I am blogging 365 Gospel messages. So please don't take it as me being a nuisance, but an action of love for you. And for my Savior as well.

No comments: