I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Soaring with Music

Day 141

I was listening to the classical station on my way to the temple. They were recognizing Placido Domingo's first recording of arias, and then played a couple. I don't know too much opera at this point, but some of what I know I absolutely love. And one of the Domingo arias they played happened to be one of those songs.

Indeed, I was immediately in sobbing tears as the introduction played. I don't know how to explain how some of these songs pierce straight to my heart. But they do. Especially this one. From the moment I first heard it. Which is one more reason I love the song, for I first heard it from the Sound of America band the year I was part of the choir. I didn't know it was from an opera. I just knew I felt my spirit soar every time I was able to hear the band play it.

When I returned home, I learned from my temporary tour Humanities professor that the song was from an opera. I had commented on it in my Humanities journal about how much I loved the song, and how it sounded like it ended rather abruptly. He mentioned that in the opera, the song led into another. (Obviously.)

Years later my mother and I were watching an Andre Rieu concert. And they began to play it. I exclaimed about it, being the song from SOA. My mother then mentioned that the song meant a great deal to her for personal reasons. I loved that she and I shared a love for the same song, which made me love it more!

While I have my own dreams of singing this aria myself, hearing a tenor actually sing it is just breath-taking. And they do it more justice than I probably could.

So it meant a great deal that the Lord worked His wonders and allowed me to hear this great tenor's recording of one of my very favorite opera songs.

Brothers and sisters, enjoy the beautiful, brings-me-to-tears "Nessun Dorma."

First, from Pavarotti.


Then from Placido Domingo.


Oh my. Do you have a favorite of those two? I do enjoy Pavarotti--especially as he makes it look so effortless. But on this song, I think Domingo makes me heart soar even higher.

But if you can't decide between the two, how about them together!


Oh my. Such beauty.

No comments: