I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

New Focus

Day 149

I listened to a recent "Faith in Action" podcast this morning. It was Justin Osmond, son of one of the "original" Osmond Brothers. He was born with 90% hearing loss. It was interesting to hear him speak so well, and to speak of his experiences and the things he has done that show faith in action. Then he said something that really stood out to me: Don't measure your life by the days you live, but by the smiles you leave behind. And I thought that I would like to try: give a smile every day.

This morning I was also reading from Sister Oaks' A Single Voice and read about never having a single dull moment. To continue to build ourselves in all ways. I felt prompted to make a list of things that I would like to try/learn/do/improve. From the possible to the ridiculous. From the short-term to the life-long. It was rather fun. And that got me to thinking of something else I'd like to try: learn something new every day.

Similar to my attempts to find a gratitude for each day, I think accounting for these things will help me try to accomplish them more. And I believe they will make a difference in my life.

And I thank my Savior for giving me 2 worthwhile purposes in life to strive for.

Today's Smile: I helped my new RS President hand things out before church began. It was a smile of appreciation, even for something so small and simple. But her smiles brighten my day and make me feel like I truly made a difference for her, no matter what it was in.

Today's Something New: I learned there were Japanese Americans living in Hawaii when Pearl Harbor was bombed. I know--it's something I should know or could have guessed. But my knowledge of 20th century history is terrible. And my Chinese American relatives lived in Hawaii. I often here of the Chinese peoples, not Japanese. The Japanese I heard of were in California. Learning that there were Japanese Americans in Hawaii then added one more dimension to my thoughts and knowledge about history there at that time.

No comments: