I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

LDS Hymn #9




This hymn is not sung much in the congregations I have been in (unless I am picking the music!). But I know I've heard the Tabernacle Choir sing it a couple of times as in General Conference.

It is one about Rejoicing, so of course I love it. It rejoices about the Restoration of the Gospel, about the Savior. You sing this song with its uplifting tune and how can you not be thrilled and excited about the joys and wonders of the Gospel and the Kingdom being built and Christ coming again soon.

What I never understood in this hymn is that the last line is the same in every verse, yet they didn't condense it like they do in other hymns into just one line. Oh well. So it is.

From the history book
Well how do you like that--this was the first hymn in the 1950 hymnal, and yet we rarely sing it now. Very sad. Lyricist and composer is the same person, who said the music was always easier to write than words--but they sure did a great job with the words on this one! The music is fun to sing and also inspiring, and the words go perfectly. I like it.

Lyrics

  1. 1. Come, rejoice, the King of glory
    Speaks to earth again.
    Gladsome words ring out from heaven,
    Joyous, wondrous strain.
    Truth bursts forth in radiant light,
    Showing all the path of right.
  2. (Chorus]
    Shout hosanna to his name;
    One and all his might proclaim.
  3. 2. Angels, messengers from heaven,
    Come to earth once more;
    Bring to men the glorious gospel;
    Priceless truths restore.
    Let all hear who live today!
    This is life, the truth, the way.
  4. 3. Great, oh, great is Christ our Savior.
    None can stay his hand.
    Now he brings to us salvation,
    Cheering ev'ry land.
    Sing, rejoice, the King of love
    Speaks to earth from heav'n above.
  5. Text and music: Tracy Y. Cannon, 1879-1961, adapted (c) 1948 IRI.

No comments: