I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

LDS Hymn #6



I am sure I sang this song plenty of times growing up. But it didn't really sink into my soul until I sang it as part of the BYU (audition) choirs. It was the very first song I learned, and we sang it at our first Combined Choirs concert showcase. And, of course, it was the amazing Mack Wilberg arrangement (as seen in video) which has that magnificent descant in the last verse (the 4th in the hymnal). There I was trying to learn harmony as a newly appointed Soprano II and suddenly the lyrics came together and held meaning for me. I absolutely loved it!

The whole song praising the Lord--how wonderful He is, how He is there for us, and He will always help us. For years as a teenager I had been trying to learn more about my Savior and develop a closer, stronger relationship with Him. This song epitomized the relationship that, by my 3rd year in college, had been developed between my Redeemer and me.

From the history book
The fabulous William W. Phelps saw a hymn by Joseph Swain and adapted it while also adding a couple more verses. The book prints the original verses, and they are very similar. I do prefer Phelps' wording--more poetic and flows better for me.


Lyrics

  1. 1. Redeemer of Israel,
    Our only delight,
    On whom for a blessing we call,
    Our shadow by day
    And our pillar by night,
    Our King, our Deliv'rer, our all!
  2. 2. We know he is coming
    To gather his sheep
    And lead them to Zion in love,
    For why in the valley
    Of death should they weep
    Or in the lone wilderness rove?
  3. 3. How long we have wandered
    As strangers in sin
    And cried in the desert for thee!
    Our foes have rejoiced
    When our sorrows they've seen,
    But Israel will shortly be free.
  4. 4. As children of Zion,
    Good tidings for us.
    The tokens already appear.
    Fear not, and be just,
    For the kingdom is ours.
    The hour of redemption is near.
  5. 5. Restore, my dear Savior,
    The light of thy face;
    Thy soul-cheering comfort impart;
    And let the sweet longing
    For thy holy place
    Bring hope to my desolate heart.
  6. 6. He looks! and ten thousands
    Of angels rejoice,
    And myriads wait for his word;
    He speaks! and eternity,
    Filled with his voice,
    Re-echoes the praise of the Lord.
  7. Text: William W. Phelps, 1792-1872; adapted from Joseph Swain, 1761-1796. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.
    Music: Freeman Lewis, 1780-1859

No comments: