I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

LDS Hymn #18


This one is one of the ~30 hymns that I am quite unfamiliar with. I know it now simply because it was one my organ teacher had me learn to play (without pedal). The altos get a fun part! Only two verses, but the text of this Restoration hymn makes sure to pack in that we have been freed because of the truth restored, including the dead because of the work that is now possible for them. And it also talks of missionary work and what great reasons we have to rejoice. While it seems many of the hymns lately have those topics included, each one still conveys it in its own words, with its author's own way with words and imagery.

From the history book
This hymn was originally part of a cantata that the author was commissioned to write by the Church, commemorating 100 years since Joseph Smith's First Vision. The author (Karen Davidson) even says that choirs and congregations are passing up a fine hymn affirming the message of the Restoration if they don't sing this one. Perhaps she said that because she knows it is one of the lesser sung hymns.

Lyrics

  1. 1. The voice of God again is heard.
    The silence has been broken.
    The curse of darkness is withdrawn.
    The Lord from heav'n has spoken.
    Rejoice, ye living and ye dead!
    Rejoice, for your salvation
    Begins anew this happy morn
    Of final dispensation.
  2. 2. O messengers of truth, go forth,
    Proclaim the gospel story,
    Go forth the nations to prepare
    To greet the King of glory.
    We shout hosanna, shout again,
    Till all creation blending
    Shall join in one great, grand amen
    Of anthems never ending.
  3. Evan Stephens, 1854-1930
    Text and music: Evan Stephens, 1854-1930

No comments: