I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Friday, October 7, 2016

LDS Hymn #4


(Closest I could get to a performance of the hymn. It is sadly one not sung much in our congregations anymore.)



We're on our 4th hymn, and only 2 composers so far. This was also written by Parley P. Pratt. Another Restoration song full of declaration, hope, and joy. I particularly like the line "Truth shall triumph as the light Chases far the misty night." Beautiful, poetic imagery revealing an extremely important Gospel principle. Truth will always bring light to the darkness, to those wandering and needing direction, guidance, or hope.

From the history book
Elder Pratt liked to express himself in poetry, and also liked the imagery of light/breaking day (as seen in Hymn #1). The book mentions how we often thing of the gospel as the one in former day, and one in latter days. "This hymn, however, emphasizes the eternal nature of the gospel. Although doctrinal truths and priesthood authority were taken from the earth for many centuries, they continued to exist in another sphere while awaiting the time of the Restoration." That is why it is called the Restoration. Everything that once was on the earth, was restored. Brought back.

Lyrics

  1. 1. Truth eternal, truth divine,
    In thine ancient fulness shine!
    Burst the fetters of the mind
    From the millions of mankind!
  2. 2. Truth again restored to earth,
    Opened with a prophet's birth.
    Priests of heaven's royal line
    Bear the keys of truth divine!
  3. 3. Truth shall triumph as the light
    Chases far the misty night.
    Endless ages own its sway,
    Clad in everlasting day.
  4. Text: Parley P. Pratt, 1807-1857
    Music: Alexander Schreiner, 1901-1987


No comments: