I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

LDS Hymn #1


Due to the wonkiness of trying to copy and paste from the LDS hymn's page, the lyrics for the song will be at the end of the posts. There is also a link to the LDS hymn page above.



This hymn is about the Restoration of the Gospel. The hymn was written by Parley P. Pratt, one of the missionaries and Apostles in the early days of the Church. I love the excitement and joy that you can read in what he wrote--as he watched truths revealed and the Gospel rolling forth, being one to proclaim those truths all of his life. The hymn was first published in 1840, only 10 years after the Church was organized, 20 after Jehovah's voice was heard once more on the earth. 24 years later, George Careless was immigrating from Britain to America and wrote this tune for the captain who had asked a song of him. The hymn had been among the British Saints for 23 years, sung to other tunes. So they were probably pretty familiar with the words. But the tune would not be published for another 12 years.

I love the tune of this song, so I'm glad we ended up with that one. This is one of the hymns were either treble clef voices or bass clef voices have a chance to sing alone. Personally, I love those hymns (except when I have to lead them....) In this hymn, both get the chance for their solo before coming back together on the last line. I love how that helps to emphasize the last line.

(By the way, I absolutely adore music, especially the LDS hymns. So I may say "love" a lot. Be warned!)

Lyrics:
  1. 1. The morning breaks, the shadows flee;
    Lo, Zion's standard is unfurled!
    The dawning of a brighter day,
    The dawning of a brighter day
    Majestic rises on the world.
  2. 2. The clouds of error disappear
    Before the rays of truth divine;
    The glory bursting from afar,
    The glory bursting from afar
    Wide o'er the nations soon will shine.
  3. 3. The Gentile fulness now comes in,
    And Israel's blessings are at hand.
    Lo, Judah's remnant, cleansed from sin,
    Lo, Judah's remnant, cleansed from sin,
    Shall in their promised Canaan stand.
  4. 4. Jehovah speaks! Let earth give ear,
    And Gentile nations turn and live.
    His mighty arm is making bare,
    His mighty arm is making bare
    His cov'nant people to receive.
  5. 5. --Angels from heav'n and truth from earth
    Have met, and both have record borne;
    Thus Zion's light is bursting forth,
    Thus Zion's light is bursting forth
    To bring her ransomed children home.
  6. Text: Parley P. Pratt, 1807-1857
    Music: George Careless, 1839-1932


No comments: