I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, October 23, 2016

LDS Hymn #12


This song is one of the not-sung-often. A shame--it is another Restoration hymn with a really fun tune to sing. Especially the soprano part! The text talks of the prophecies in ancient days that foretold of the Restoration--and it has now come forth!

From the history book
How did I never connect how closely related this hymn is to Hymn #11? The lyricist didn't like the Q&A format, so he revised that hymn, using actual phrases, and made the text assertions. All of verse 3, however, is his own verse. The lyricist was also an organist, and hr adapted an existing melody for this. He knew the 4 parts exceeded the reach of the hands, requiring the use of the pedal. Thank goodness my teacher didn't insist me trying that when I first did this hymn! Also, the lyricist wanted this song sung slowly and solemnly because "it is possible to be joyful in a solemn, dignified manner." Well, yes, but if I am singing I prefer not to be as solemn! Oh well, I will remember in future.


Lyrics

  1. 1. 'Twas witnessed in the morning sky:
    An angel earthward bound.
    This messenger proclaimed anew
    The gospel's joyful sound.
    In pow'r it would be preached on earth
    By men of God ordained;
    All men, all tongues, all nations would
    Accept and praise his name.
  2. 2. In ancient days the gospel plan
    Was giv'n of God to men;
    In latter days the gospel is
    Restored to earth again.
    By holy prophets long proclaimed,
    By Saints and seers adored,
    It speaks the everlasting truths
    Of Jesus Christ, the Lord.
  3. 3. Apostles of a former day
    To modern prophets came;
    They brought the priesthood of our Lord
    To bless the earth again.
    The pow'rs of heav'n are opened wide
    To men of God below;
    The knowledge, gifts, and keys are ours,
    All blessings to bestow.
  4. Text: Adapted by G. William Richards, 1918-2005.
    (c) 1985 IRI



No comments: