I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, October 6, 2016

LDS Hymn #3





As a child this song would stand out to me because the chorus was the same the first 2 verses, but different on the 3rd. And that 3rd verse chorus--it's wonderful! It is telling of things still to come for us in our future: we will be crowned with the angels of heaven, and we will be one with Christ forever. Beautiful and hopeful, just like the rest of the hymn.

As the title and first line of the song says, this song is all about reasons to rejoice!
*We have a purpose on earth, and others to be with that know that purpose, too. No more strangers on earth!
*Good tidings--they really are abundant
*Loving each other and with no secrets to tear us apart
*Relying on Christ in (and with) faith
*We will be guided no matter what awful things may come at us in this world
*When we endure it all, we will "rise with the just"
*The Savior is coming!

Every hymn in the 1985 hymnal has a couple of scriptures to enhance the meaning/study of the hymns to us. But they are not the only scriptures that go with those hymns. In this song, especially with the chorus, one of my scripture verses goes with it:

3 Nephi 22: 4-5, 7-17 (especially the last few verses!)

4 Fear not, for thou shalt not be ashamed; neither be thou confounded, for thou shalt not be put to shame; for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more.

 For thy maker, thy husband, the Lord of Hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel—the God of the whole earth shall he be called.


For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee.
 In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment, but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer.
For this, the waters of Noah unto me, for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth, so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee.
 10 For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.
 11 O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted! Behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colors, and lay thy foundations with sapphires.
 12 And I will make thy windows of agates, and thy gates of carbuncles, and all thy borders of pleasant stones.
 13 And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children.
 14 In righteousness shalt thou be established; thou shalt be far from oppression for thou shalt not fear, and from terror for it shall not come near thee.
 15 Behold, they shall surely gather together against thee, not by me; whosoever shall gather together against thee shall fall for thy sake.
 16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.
 17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall revile against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.
From the history book:
Ironically, this hymn about joy and rejoicing was written after the Saints were persecuted in Missouri, when the lyricist William W. Phelps had his home and printing press destroyed, and then forced to leave the county in November. "In our day...literally millions who derive strength from the words of this hymn. Now Let Us Rejoice recalls the amazing, resilient faith of our pioneers and helps us to strengthen our own. Even in the worst of times, we can still rejoice as we "watch for the day when the Savior will come." Which, of course, puts me in mind of Pres. Nelson's fabulous talk on Joy from last weekend. This has been one of my life goals for much of my life, finding Joy in the Journey. And this song, especially with its origin perfectly exemplifies that.


Lyrics

  1. 1. Now let us rejoice in the day of salvation.
    No longer as strangers on earth need we roam.
    Good tidings are sounding to us and each nation,
    And shortly the hour of redemption will come,
    When all that was promised the Saints will be given,
    And none will molest them from morn until ev'n,
    And earth will appear as the Garden of Eden,
    And Jesus will say to all Israel, "Come home."
  2. 2. We'll love one another and never dissemble
    But cease to do evil and ever be one.
    And when the ungodly are fearing and tremble,
    We'll watch for the day when the Savior will come,
    When all that was promised the Saints will be given,
    And none will molest them from morn until ev'n,
    And earth will appear as the Garden of Eden,
    And Jesus will say to all Israel, "Come home."
  3. 3. In faith we'll rely on the arm of Jehovah
    To guide thru these last days of trouble and gloom,
    And after the scourges and harvest are over,
    We'll rise with the just when the Savior doth come.
    Then all that was promised the Saints will be given,
    And they will be crown'd with the angels of heav'n,
    And earth will appear as the Garden of Eden,
    And Christ and his people will ever be one.
  4. Text: William W. Phelps, 1792-1872. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.
    Music: Henry Tucker, ca. 1863

No comments: