I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

LDS Hymn #14



This was one of the "we need a short hymn because there isn't much time left in a meeting" hymns. That is until I, as music director with my co-goal (with the organist) to sing all verses, noticed that this hymn has 7 verses! Being an only 2 line song, this is the equivalent of a regular 3 verse (slightly more I suppose) hymn that we always sing. However, I don't think I have picked this hymn, yet, because there is something about their faces when they sing verses "outside of the lines." Especially if it is more than 1 or 2. Their eyes seem to bug out and they start to get antsy. It's ridiculous really--especially with a short hymn like this. But since I already ask my ward to sing many of the "lesser known" hymns (at least to them), and I have them stand for the intermediate hymns, I pick my battles. :-)

Regardless of the number of verses, I am quite familiar with the tune of this song, which I have always liked. A fairly easy one for me to play. Looking closer at the words, I like those, too. Like the title, they bring a sweet message. And a hopeful one, too. The hymn talks about how the Gospel brings peace, ability to resist temptation, hope in the Savior's coming, and strength to endure until then.

From the history book
The passage points out how much thought, seeking, and reason are an important part of the hymn, and how Latter-day Saints resonate well with that because it is a part of our doctrine. We must "seek things out" for ourselves and work out our own salvation. Many other religions don't like that aspect. The book also points out that the text was part of LDS tradition since it was printed in 1852, but the first time the tune appeared was not until 1948. The name of the tune is Cache, after Cache Valley where the composer was from. A fun thing about now living in Utah (and having traveled throughout it) is that I am so much more familiar with the geography, so I can appreciate tidbits like that, having been there a few times myself.

Lyrics

  1. 1. Sweet is the peace the gospel brings
    To seeking minds and true.
    With light refulgent on its wings,
    It clears the human view.
  2. 2. Its laws and precepts are divine
    And show a Father's care.
    Transcendent love and mercy shine
    In each injunction there.
  3. 3. Faithless tradition flees its pow'r,
    And unbelief gives way.
    The gloomy clouds, which used to low'r,
    Submit to reason's sway.
  4. 4. May we who know the sacred Name
    From every sin depart.
    Then will the Spirit's constant flame
    Preserve us pure in heart.
  5. 5. Ere long the tempter's power will cease,
    And sin no more annoy,
    No wrangling sects disturb our peace,
    Or mar our heartfelt joy.
  6. 6. That which we have in part received
    Will be in part no more,
    For he in whom we all believe
    To us will all restore.
  7. 7. In patience, then, let us possess
    Our souls till he appear.
    On to our mark of calling press;
    Redemption draweth near.
  8. Text: Mary Ann Morton Durham, 1826-1897
    Music: Alfred M. Durham, 1872-1957. (c) 1948 IRI

No comments: