I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, October 20, 2016

LDS Hymn #11


This hymn stood out to me probably the first time I was old enough to sing, and it was sung in our Sacrament meeting. I mean, how can you miss such a fun song? It has that stand-alone clef solo I like, this time with the bass clef--the men getting two solos. It also has a Q&A style which I thought was the neatest thing when I was a child. I still love it as an adult. Not the easiest thing to play with all of its triplets, but still fun at that. The entire song is about the Gospel being restored, reminding us that is the same Gospel that was here on earth when Christ lived and giving the beautiful promise that those who have not heard the Gospel in this life will get the change to hear of it in the next life.

From the history book
The text was first published in 1847, and the text and tune were published together in 1889. The text was in the pattern of catechism, which was a way many Christian religions taught children and new converts. And the tune name is "Joyful Sound." Love it!

Lyrics

  1. 1. What was witnessed in the heavens?
    Why, an angel earthward bound.
    Had he something with him bringing?
    Yes, the gospel, joyful sound!
    It was to be preached in power
    On the earth, the angel said,
    To all men, all tongues and nations
    That upon its face are spread.
  2. 2. Had we not before the gospel?
    Yes, it came of old to men.
    Then what is this latter gospel?
    'Tis the first one come again.
    This was preached by Paul and Peter
    And by Jesus Christ, the Head.
    This we latter Saints are preaching;
    We their footsteps wish to tread.
  3. 3. Where so long has been the gospel?
    Did it pass from earth away?
    Yes, 'twas taken back to heaven
    Till should dawn a brighter day.
    What became of those departed,
    Knowing not the gospel plan?
    In the spirit world they'll hear it;
    God is just to ev'ry man.
  4. Text: John S. Davis, 1813-1882
    Music: Evan Stephens, 1854-1930

No comments: