I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Gospel Message Day 361

Priesthood Ordination

Not too long ago I wrote about Priesthood organization. In that I mentioned the different offices of the Priesthood. A worthy man is ordained to those offices--the ordaining being an ordinance. When a baptized male is old enough (at least 12) and found worthy, he is ordained to the office of a deacon, after receiving the Aaronic Priesthood. Later he will be ordained to the office of teacher, then priest, and then elder. At some point in life, he will likely be ordained to high priest (depends on how long he lives!). A few will be ordained to office of a bishop or stake president. Much fewer will be ordained to be a Seventy. And a very small number will be ordained as Apostles. In our dispensation, only 16 men have received the ordination of prophet.


In 2 weeks, we will have two new Apostles called and ordained. I’ll always miss the Apostles we have had in my life previously, but this is such an exciting time to see whom the Lord calls and subsequently qualifies. We see these special witnesses of Christ grow in their Apostolic ordination over the years, and for me their counsel is life-sustaining.

No comments: