I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Gospel Message Day 360

Scriptures

Awww. I LOVE the scriptures--they combined with prayer have been a crucial lifeline between me and my Heavenly Father. They offer so much to me, and not just spiritually. I was an English major who always enjoys good writing and good stories. The scriptures offer both. They could be entertaining, humorous, tragic and yet full of lessons just at face value. But I have spent my life learning to look deeper and to apply more than the typical piece of literature. The looking and applying involves searching and pondering--and all of those require the Spirit to be involved. When all of that is combined, then I am able to more fully partake of what the scriptures truly have to offer. They are the Word of God--some are His words through His prophets written for our benefit and guidance. Others are His words recorded by His prophets. All of them--His words. The wise prophets would not write that which would displease God. They wanted to write what He wanted us to know and have available to us.

Good to note: the LDS religion does not use the Apocrypha because some is true, but some has been twisted by men. It is not against us to use it, but if the Spirit is not present when it is being read, it will bring nothing of the Spirit to them. See Doctrine & Covenants 9. Also good to note that we do not view Song of Solomon as inspired scripture. I heard of one apostle who glues it shut. I read it once when I read the whole Old Testament in 9th-10th grade. All I remember is blushing a lot from embarrassment and uncomfortableness. There wasn't much I could get out that gave me deeper spiritual meaning and application. I'm OK never reading it again!

No comments: