I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Boasting

Day 241

Strawberry cake with chocolate sauce. Mmmm.

But that's not what I wanted to write about of today's gratitude. I thought I should write something more of the spiritual nature--since this is my blog where I wanted to focus on many spiritual things.

In our 5th Sunday combined Relief Society and Priesthood meeting, we were asked to choose and briefly share our favorite scripture story from The Book of Mormon. Only so many people were able to share before the time was up. I was unable to share mine, but wanted to share it somewhere. This seemed a pretty good place, and a definite item of gratitude and joy!

First, I could never pick a favorite story. Or a favorite scripture. Are you kidding? The Book of Mormon is my favorite book, with countless parts that I love, adore, and cherish! I'm thinking that next year I may daily write of passages that bring me joy and gratitude.

But the one I had settled on, and what I had planned to say, was this:

In my current way of marking my scriptures, I am being a Pollyanna and marking the "happy texts" by underlining them in green. So as I flipped through the scriptures, I came across a chapter marked with a lot of green! It's Alma 26. To me, there is a lot of green for two main reasons. One, because of the joy that Ammon and his brethren feel from preaching the Gospel, and from seeing so many embrace the Gospel. But the second is why the scripture means much to me right now. It is verse 12, with my own emphases and pauses.

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; [pause] therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, [pause] for in his strength I can do all things...."

I do know that I am nothing. But I know that all things--everything going on in my life--I can truly do with, through, and because of my God. And for that, I will most certainly boast.

No comments: