I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, November 28, 2016

LDS Hymn #35



I love this hymn! So much fun to sing and a pure beast to play! Syncopation, running notes, three flats. Sometimes the challenging hymn are quite the fun--even if I never have gotten it correctly all the way through. This could be considered another Mountain song where we found shelter in its height and beauty. Yet somehow growing up I was able to see beyond that when singing the song. The mountains were symbolic of any place where I found shelter from the trials and storms of life. That, and though not in Utah, I did grow up in a mountain state and very much enjoyed the beauty there.

From the history book
It was a choir hymn in the 1950 hymnal, but congregations liked it so much that they sang it anyway. The author was not LDS and her hills referred to mountains in Switzerland. Edward Sloan adapted Felicia's hymn, but after 1965 they dropped a verse mentioning "untutored Indian"--wise choice. I guess line 3 used to be a women's only part, since the 1985 hymnal added parts for bass and tenor. Another verse was left out in the 1985 hymnal as well. With the revisions of Felicia's original poem and what changes have been made over the years, I am very happy with the 4 verses we have now.

Lyrics

  1. 1. For the strength of the hills we bless thee,
    Our God, our fathers' God;
    Thou hast made thy children mighty
    By the touch of the mountain sod.
    Thou hast led thy chosen Israel
    To freedom's last abode;
  2. (Chorus]
    For the strength of the hills we bless thee,
    Our God, our fathers' God.
  3. 2. At the hands of foul oppressors
    We've borne and suffered long;
    Thou hast been our help in weakness,
    And thy pow'r hath made us strong.
    Amid ruthless foes outnumbered
    In weariness we trod;
  4. 3. Thou hast led us here in safety
    Where the mountain bulwark stands
    As the guardian of the loved ones
    Thou hast brought from many lands.
    For the rock and for the river,
    The valley's fertile sod,
  5. 4. We are watchers of a beacon
    Whose light must never die;
    We are guardians of an altar
    'Midst the silence of the sky.
    Here the rocks yield founts of courage,
    Struck forth as by thy rod;
  6. Text: Felicia D. Hemans, 1793-1835; adapted by Edward L. Sloan, 1830-1874
    Music: Evan Stephens, 1854-1930

No comments: