I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

LDS Hymn #21


(Sorry it has been a while! A couple of late nights and then a couple of days with no internet.)



I love this song. The tune is wonderful. It is fun to sing. Bright and joyful and hopeful, which works really well conveying feelings one should have because we have a living prophet today. The hymn also talks of how we need a living prophet, and reminds us how a prophet today leads and warns the same was the ancient prophets did.

From the history book
OK, I am too lazy (and in pain) to go grab the book from the other room. But my memory tells me that the 4th verse was written by Bruce R. McConkie because he wanted to give an admonition for us to follow. Since the previous 2 verses are a bit more about the Restoration, the 4th ties in with the 1st verse asking you to come listen. (I could be making that reason up....) When I had read that a different composer wrote the 4th verse, I decided to do a little arrangement for the YSA branch choir I was director of a few years ago. We sang the first 3 verses as the hymnal had them, then we did the 4th verse to the tune of "As Zion's Youth in Latter Days" (Hymn #??) I liked the outcome. Not sure what others' thought, but it has made the hymn stand out to me ever since.


Lyrics

  1. 1. Come, listen to a prophet's voice,
    And hear the word of God,
    And in the way of truth rejoice,
    And sing for joy aloud.
    We've found the way the prophets went
    Who lived in days of yore.
    Another prophet now is sent
    This knowledge to restore.
  2. 2. The gloom of sullen darkness spread
    Thru earth's extended space
    Is banished by our living Head,
    And God has shown his face.
    Thru erring schemes in days now past
    The world has gone astray;
    Yet Saints of God have found at last
    The straight and narrow way.
  3. 3. 'Tis not in man they put their trust
    Nor on his arm rely.
    Full well assured, all are accursed
    Who Jesus Christ deny.
    The Savior to his people saith,
    "Let all my words obey,
    And signs shall follow living faith,
    Down to the latest day."
  4. 4. Then heed the words of truth and light
    That flow from fountains pure.
    Yea, keep His law with all thy might
    Till thine election's sure,
    Till thou shalt hear the holy voice
    Assure eternal reign,
    While joy and cheer attend thy choice,
    As one who shall obtain.
  5. Text: Joseph S. Murdock, 1822-1899. Verse four, Bruce R. McConkie, 1915-1985. (c) 1985 IRI
    Music: Joseph J. Daynes, 1851-1920

No comments: