I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Friday, November 11, 2016

LDS Hymn #23



I really love this hymn. It is an easy melody. It is easy to play. And the message and sentiment goes straight to my heart as we sing of the things we pray for with our prophet. That he will be blessed with comfort, cheer, strength, and more as he fulfills such a weighty calling that affects the entire world. So much for one man. He would never be able to do all he has to in leading and guiding us on earth without the blessing and sustainment from Heavenly Father. And how much more helpful and sustaining it is for him when he knows how much we feel the sentiments in this hymn.

From the history book
Evan Stephens first wrote the words as a girls' trio celebrating Wilford Woodruff's 90th birthday. This would definitely explain "the advancing years" line! Though of course, that applies for most of our Latter-day prophets, which the book mentions. The tune was adapted from another. And succeeding hymnals kept it as a female trio. The 4-part arrangement came from Darwin Wolford for the Mormon Youth Chorus (ah--one of my never-to-be dreams). A choir in Fayette New York also joined in via satellite and sang it in General Conference on April 6, 1980--the sesquicentennial anniversary of the Church's organization.

Lyrics

  1. 1. We ever pray for thee, our prophet dear,
    That God will give to thee comfort and cheer;
    As the advancing years furrow thy brow,
    Still may the light within shine bright as now,
    Still may the light within shine bright as now.
  2. 2. We ever pray for thee with all our hearts,
    That strength be given thee to do thy part,
    To guide and counsel us from day to day,
    To shed a holy light around our way,
    To shed a holy light around our way.
  3. 3. We ever pray for thee with fervent love;
    And as the children's prayer is heard above,
    Thou shalt be ever blest, and God will give
    All that is meet and best while thou shalt live,
    All that is meet and best while thou shalt live.
  4. Text: Evan Stephens, 1854-1930
    Music: H. A. Tuckett, 1852-1918; adapted by Evan Stephens, 1854-1930

No comments: