I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, November 10, 2016

LDS Hymn #22




I think the prophet songs have stood out to me ever since I learned that my dad wrote his own prophet hymn. Somehow growing up I guess I only paid attention to "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet" as the prophet song--since it is what we always sang. But there are 4 more hymns specifically about prophets. (I think Dad also wrote that hymn because a living prophet was a big part of his conversion and testimony.)

This hymn is very simple in melody and one of the easier ones for me to play. I absolutely love the words, probably because I love having a living prophet. Technically, we have 15 of them. I love all of them, yet especially The Prophet--the only one with all the Priesthood keys and the authority to lead the world. I have a strong testimony that it is vital for us to listen, heed, and follow The Prophet's and the prophets' counsel, guidance, and warnings. The text of this hymn explains our responsibility of listening, heeding, and following, and a little bit of his role. It is a simple, sweet joy of one of the most important things in our Church--and what truly sets us apart from other religions today.

From the history book
Wow. I don't even know how to sum that up. What a wonderful history! MoTab director Jerold Ottley (my Mom's favorite) asked for an anthem to be based on "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet." From that beginning eventually evolved this hymn, whose tune is named after Bruce Hafen, then President of then Ricks College, who supported the tune writer Darwin Wolford in obtaining a magnificent organ at that college. The original hymn (before the adaptation to the current tune we sing now) Ottley had requested was then performed at the dedication ceremony of the organ.

I also like how the author of the lyrics reminds us that when we sing with heart, mind, and voice, we are bearing our own testimony--adding it to that of the lyricists--and sending a prayer to God in that song.

Lyrics

  1. 1. We listen to a prophet's voice and hear the Savior too.
    With love he bids us do the work the Lord would have us do.
    The Savior calls his chosen seer to preach the word of God,
    That men might learn to find the path marked by the iron rod.
  2. 2. In ev'ry land, in ev'ry tongue, our prophet will be heard;
    How swiftly round the world his voice reveals the gospel word!
    The sacred message that he brings will witness and agree
    With ev'ry prophet called of God throughout earth's history.
  3. 3. Hosanna! Let our praise ascend unto the Savior's throne;
    Rejoice! The prophet has confirmed that by Him we are known.
    Attend, ye earth! The prophet speaks; come listen and obey.
    He is the man who holds the keys of priesthood pow'r today.
  4. Text: Marylou Cunningham Leavitt, b. 1928. (c) 1985 IRI
    Music: Darwin K. Wolford, b. 1936. (c) 1985 IRI


No comments: