I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, November 12, 2016

LDS Hymn #24



This is a hymn I know I know, but if asked to hum the tune, couldn't do so without the music. Yet it is another good prophet song, with another prayer for our prophet. Included in that prayer is that others will hear his words, throughout the world, and that it will help us be united.

From the history book
The poem first appeared in 1855, but the words were a little altered since then. There was another verse, which was first, and which applied mostly to Utah Saints. To be more universal with the worldwide Church, they left that verse out (and thus had to change the tune title from "Our God, We Raise to Thee" to the current). Other changes were more for grammar or singability. The tune name is Ephraim, because the composer is from that town in Utah. The tune was submitted for the 1948 hymnal, but did not make it in. When matched with this text, it was then included in our current hymnal.

Lyrics

  1. 1. God bless our prophet dear;
    May health and comfort cheer
    His noble heart.
    His words with fire impress
    On souls that thou wilt bless
    To choose in righteousness
    The better part.
  2. 2. So shall thy kingdom spread,
    As by thy prophets said,
    From sea to sea.
    Truth burns in ev'ry soul;
    As one united whole,
    We hasten to the goal
    We long to see.
  3. 3. Oh, may thy Saints be one,
    Like Father and the Son,
    Nor disagree.
    United heart and hand,
    So may we ever stand,
    A firm and valiant band
    Eternally.
  4. Text: Bernard Snow, 1822-1894, alt.
    Music: Harry A. Dean, 1892-1987. (c) 1985 IRI

No comments: