I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

LDS Hymn #30



Another well-loved, often sung (at least in July!) hymn with Church History ties. I have heard the story of the writing of this hymn countless times, and yet I still love it. William Clayton was in one of the first groups to cross the Mississippi in the great exodus from Nauvoo. The first week of a frigid (remember--east coast humidity there!) February, William had to leave his very pregnant wife behind. A couple of months after leaving he received word that his wife had delivered and both she and the baby were fine. In the midst of great trial and suffering, he found joy. And if you know my blog, you know that is the theme of my life, so it is no wonder that I have a tender spot for the hymn that he wrote because of that joy in the midst of trial.

It fit so perfectly with what the Saints were just then embarking on--the long journey west. Yet every verse, except for the reference to the west in verse 3, applies perfectly for our personal journeys in life. This song took on greater meaning when my cousin Jordan died about 2 months before his 16th birthday. The weekend of his death, our ward choir was putting on our delayed Pioneer program. I didn't make it through Verse 4. Off and on it has been a difficult one to sing, most recently being last year when my aunt died around Pioneer Day. I stood in front of my ward congregation leading the song, unable to sing as I cried through the verse. With the deaths I have experienced in my life, this verse takes on the meaning not because of the loss I have felt, but because of the truth I can sing of that they "are free from toil and sorrow, too" and believe that "with the just [they] shall dwell."

For my own personal life, that verse is one to sing in the sense that "Thy will be done." "If I perish, I perish." But I would love to live some more days to experience more things in this life--have a chance to grow and learn and serve. So, if I am blessed with a few more days on this earth--how very grateful I will always be for the Lord giving them to me!

From the history book
There was already a hymn called "All is Well" that Clayton wrote new words to. Another Church history anecdote with this hymn was shared. I think there are many. This hymn has been in every LDS hymnal since 1851. I remember once practicing at another religion's church when I lived in West Virginia. Always intrigued by hymnals, I looked inside. And I found this hymn. So apparently it made its way to other hymnals, too!

Lyrics

  1. 1. Come, come, ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear;
    But with joy wend your way.
    Though hard to you this journey may appear,
    Grace shall be as your day.
    'Tis better far for us to strive
    Our useless cares from us to drive;
    Do this, and joy your hearts will swell--
    All is well! All is well!
  2. 2. Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
    'Tis not so; all is right.
    Why should we think to earn a great reward
    If we now shun the fight?
    Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
    Our God will never us forsake;
    And soon we'll have this tale to tell--
    All is well! All is well!
  3. 3. We'll find the place which God for us prepared,
    Far away in the West,
    Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid;
    There the Saints will be blessed.
    We'll make the air with music ring,
    Shout praises to our God and King;
    Above the rest these words we'll tell--
    All is well! All is well!
  4. 4. And should we die before our journey's through,
    Happy day! All is well!
    We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
    With the just we shall dwell!
    But if our lives are spared again
    To see the Saints their rest obtain,
    Oh, how we'll make this chorus swell--
    All is well! All is well!
  5. Text: William Clayton, 1814-1879
    Music: English folk song

No comments: