I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

LDS Hymn #32


I don't think I was familiar with this hymn at all until a couple or so years ago when I learned it as one of my hymns in my organ lessons. And that 2/2 time kills me! Even now looking at the tune I cannot quite hear it in my mind because I keep getting it the timing wrong. Yet the notes below the hymn say this one was in the first LDS hymnal. The text talks of the Restoration, and how throughout history this time was looked forward to. That it has finally come--so much to rejoice and be happy about. Being in this time with the fulness of the Gospel, my freedoms, and so many advances around us, I do feel truly blessed and feel to rejoice in it. But not that it is necessarily "Yay, I got to be born in this dispensation, at this time," but rather "I am so grateful for all that men and women did throughout history that led to such a blessed time that has so greatly blessed me and my life."

From the history book
The text first was printed 3 years after the Church was organized. The author Philo was a close friend of Joseph Smith's. Some lines had been changed by the 1950 hymnal. A couple of word changes and a sentence structure change occurred for the current hymnal. Seeing what they were, I agree with them! A little awkward in singing as well as understanding. Though it makes me wonder what Brother Dibble must think in heaven to see his words changed. Really the changes were there to go better with current times (meaning words) and ease of singing.

Lyrics

  1. 1. The happy day at last has come.
    The truth restored is now made known.
    The promised angel's come again
    To introduce Messiah's reign.
  2. 2. The gospel trump again is heard.
    The truth from darkness has appeared.
    The lands which long benighted lay
    Have now beheld a glorious day:
  3. 3. The day by prophets long foretold,
    The day which Abram did behold,
    The day that Saints desired so long,
    When God his great work would perform,
  4. 4. The day when Saints again shall hear
    The voice of Jesus in their ear,
    And angels, who above do reign,
    Come down to speak again with men.
  5. Text: Philo Dibble, 1806-1895. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.
    Music: Ebenezer Beesley, 1840-1906

No comments: