I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, November 17, 2016

LDS Hymn #28




(Personal note! My baby bro is in this choir! My thoughts would be that he knows this one well, and perhaps it is a little closer to his heart than others.)

This hymn has very rarely been sung in my lifetime. I feel even worse for lesser-known hymns like this, which share a page spread with a well-known, often sung hymn. How sad that poor hymn must feel to be opened to so much, but never sung! At least it wasn't one that used to be sung and was forgotten over time. I believe this one was written for the 1985 hymnal. Which means it has been neglected all of its life..... Hmm. I think this poor hymn needs a little bit of love! I don't know the tune by heart, but I can tell from the musical notation that it is a moving one, which I love. Of course, most congregations full of many who don't know how to read music would not do well with the movement like that. They need those chords. Perhaps that is why it doesn't get sung much. The words almost make it feel like it was written when the Gospel was newly restored, not 150+ years later. Still, the sentiments of joy and freedom and excitement that the truth is restored and is going forth among the world are just as prevalent today as they were then. Maybe moreso to a degree because we see it moving forward at a great pace and growing beyond belief.

From the history book
The lyricist was inspired by a Conference talk in 1972 that told of the growth of the Church and as a missionary got to have a personal role in sharing the gospel in the world. He used Old Testament imagery in the text. The composer "wanted to write a short, energetic piece not unlike the spirited pieces of English origin." It says that the first 2 measures of the song constitute most of the tune with slight variation. Meaning that congregations "should feel secure when singing the melody for the first time." Ha ha ha!!! Sorry. I find that funny considering my thoughts before I read the history. Well, you can be sure I have our ward sing this one after the holiday season.

Lyrics

  1. 1. Saints, behold how great Jehovah
    Hath his blessings on you shed.
    Zion ev'rywhere is growing
    As the gospel light is spread!
  2. 2. Out of all past dispensations,
    God is bringing into one
    Ev'ry truth by prophets spoken,
    For the last days have begun.
  3. 3. Rise and lift up Zion's standard;
    Tell our Father's children now:
    Heaven's blessed King approaches;
    All men must before him bow.
  4. Text: Douglas W. Stott, b. 1925. (c) 1985 IRI
    Music: A. Laurence Lyon,1934-2006. (c) 1985 IRI


No comments: