I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

LDS Hymn #33


This is not one we sang much growing up, even if I did live in the Mountain State. I think we automatically assumed this was "a Utah hymn," so we didn't sing it. But really anyone could enjoy and/or connect with the song because it just talks about the beauty of nature and how we can see God's hand in it all. So perhaps if you live in the desert with no mountains, you don't understand that. But you can understand wildflowers. Sunshine. Flowing rivers (yes, even in a desert). We just have to look around where ever we may be, see the beauty there, and know that God's hand is in that beauty. That was one of my first lessons I learned from moving as a child. I was not happy with our second move. The third was difficult. My fourth to college was one of the hardest. I had to learn to find beauty where ever I was. I started with nature, because I knew it would never fail me. And that was able to transition to finding beauty in the people and cultures around me. It made the subsequent moves much easier to make. So I enjoy this hymn now as I have learned to find that beauty and thank my Heavenly Father for it.

From the history book
"All Saints can join together in singing our gratitude for the beauties of our world." George Pyper describes the hymn as a literary gem as it brought together "two kindred spirits...both loving music, art, and God's beautiful outdoors."

Lyrics

  1. 1. Our mountain home so dear,
    Where crystal waters clear
    Flow ever free,
    Flow ever free,
    While thru the valleys wide
    The flow'rs on ev'ry side,
    Blooming in stately pride,
    Are fair to see.
  2. 2. We'll roam the verdant hills
    And by the sparkling rills
    Pluck the wildflow'rs,
    Pluck the wildflow'rs;
    The fragrance on the air,
    The landscape bright and fair,
    And sunshine ev'rywhere
    Make pleasant hours.
  3. 3. In sylvan depth and shade,
    In forest and in glade,
    Where-e'er we pass,
    Where-e'er we pass,
    The hand of God we see
    In leaf and bud and tree,
    Or bird or humming bee,
    Or blade of grass.
  4. 4. The streamlet, flow'r, and sod
    Bespeak the works of God;
    And all combine,
    And all combine,
    With most transporting grace,
    His handiwork to trace,
    Thru nature's smiling face,
    In art divine.
  5. Text: Emmeline B. Wells, 1828-1921
    Music: Evan Stephens, 1854-1930

No comments: