I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, November 21, 2016

LDS Hymn #31



This is what I call a classic, meaning it has been around in hymn-dom since before any LDS hymnal, and is sung in many faiths. The Isaac Watts wrote the hymn. Very easy tune to remember. A great testimony and praise of our Heavenly Father--how He is always there, has been and will be, forever. My favorite line: Our hope for years to come.

From the history book
It also mentioned how beloved this hymn is in many Christian faiths. There was another verse, which used to be verse 4, and the now verse 4 was verse 5 and rarely sung. And verse 3 is based on Psalm 90:2, as Isaac Watts liked using Psalms in hymns.

UPDATE, 11/28/16 - watching Return to Cranford and this is the hymn they're singing at the beginning! :-)

Lyrics

  1. 1. O God, our help in ages past,
    Our hope for years to come,
    Our shelter from the stormy blast,
    And our eternal home.
  2. 2. Within the shadow of thy throne,
    Still may we dwell secure.
    Sufficient is thine arm alone,
    And our defense is sure.
  3. 3. Before the hills in order stood,
    Or earth received her frame,
    From everlasting thou art God,
    To endless years the same.
  4. 4. O God, our help in ages past,
    Our hope for years to come,
    Be thou our guide while life shall last,
    And our eternal home.
  5. Text: Isaac Watts, 1674-1748. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.
    Music: William Croft, 1677-1727

No comments: