I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, December 31, 2016

LDS Hymn #47


When I think of this hymn, a different tune comes to mind. But then I look at the actual notes and I remember correctly. Not really sure why I think of the other tune. Of course, I don't know the words very well either. They tell of Zion--how we rejoice in it and look forward to it being on earth again. The third verse is all about how we can be a Zion people, and make Zion in this world. One of my pet peeves growing up "in the mission field" (ugh) was when people in Utah referred to themselves as Zion. I was raised knowing that Zion the place was in Missouri, but that generally when we talk of Zion now, it is about a state of mind and being. The pure in heart as Doctrine & Covenants 97:21 states. So I like that this hymn talks of that Zion.

From the history book
Merrill Bradshaw--the composer and lyricist--was commissioned to write music for the sesquicentennial pageant called Zion in 1979. He couldn't find any text to capture the idea behind the pageant--the task of LDS people becoming a Zion people. Since he didn't find anything to his liking, he wrote his own with a tune that would be simple enough for most congregations to sing with confidence.

Lyrics

  1. 1. We will sing of Zion,
    Kingdom of our God.
    Zion is the pure in heart,
    Those who seek the Savior's part.
    Zion soon in all the world
    Will rise to meet her God.
  2. 2. Thru the revelations
    Giv'n by God to men,
    Heaven's truth is placed on earth;
    Prophets teach its pow'r and worth.
    Zion readies us to see
    The Savior come again.
  3. 3. When the Saints of Zion
    Keep his law in truth,
    Hate and war and strife will cease;
    Men will live in love and peace.
    Heav'nly Zion, come once more
    And cover all the earth.
  4. Text and music: Merrill Bradshaw, 1929-2000
    (c) 1980 IRI

No comments: