I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, December 17, 2016

LDS Hymn #205


This is a fun hymn for singing (and playing, if one can manage it!) because there are moving parts --especially for the bass! They often are cursed with the most boring part, so in this they get to sing. But every part gets to move somewhere, and that is nice for all. The text tells the story of the Nativity in the first 2 verses. But that 3rd verse! It contains the reason why we celebrate that Nativity story in those other 2 verses--that He has redeemed us and His teachings and ways will lead us home (if we choose to follow).

From the history book
The author of the text wrote two other hymns in the 1985 hymn, one is an Easter song and one is a Sacrament song. How appropriate! She wrote all three hymns in the desire to "make it easier for children to understand the meaning of different paths of the Apostles' Creed, a statement of belief recruited by the congregation during worship services in some Christian denominations." That would explain the simple lessons taught in all 3 of her hymns, and how each one tells a story to teach those lessons. The book says nothing about the tune, and I think I have heard this hymn set to other tunes before. This song was new to the 1985 hymnal. I'm glad they included it. I think I appreciate it more knowing its background.

Lyrics

  1. 1. Once in royal David's city
    Stood a lowly cattle shed,
    Where a mother laid her baby
    In a manger for his bed:
    Mary was that mother mild,
    Jesus Christ her little child.
  2. 2. He came down to earth from heaven,
    Who is God and Lord of all,
    And his shelter was a stable,
    And his cradle was a stall;
    With the poor, and mean, and lowly,
    Lived on earth our Savior holy.
  3. 3. And our eyes at last shall see him,
    Through his own redeeming love;
    For that child so dear and gentle
    Is our Lord in heav'n above,
    And he leads his children on
    To the place where he is gone.
  4. Text: Cecil Frances Alexander, 1818-1895
    Music: Henry J. Gauntlett, 1805-1876

No comments: