I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

LDS Hymn #203



I love "Gloria" songs. Anything with a great refrain--and this is great because of the altering movement in the soprano and alto parts. (And the Mack Wilberg arrangement adds even more!!!!) I like the questioning in verse 2--wondering why is there such joy and gladness in what they have to say. And then verse 3 being an answer--inviting all to come and see the Christ. It of course refer to the baby, but I have always liked the symbolism of the shepherds to us, sharing the great news with all the world.

From the history book
This hymn was first added into LDS hymnals in this current one. The hymn first appeared in print in 1862, but it could be much older. And no one knows its composer or author or even the translator! I have heard other verses to this hymn, and some to different versions (Angels from the Realms of Glory), so I liked learning that there is a fourth verse, which we don't have in our hymnal Not sure why, but so it is.
See him in a manger laid, Whom the choirs of angels praise; Mary, Joseph, lend your aid, While our hearts in love we raise.

Lyrics

  1. 1. Angels we have heard on high
    Sweetly singing o'er the plains,
    And the mountains in reply
    Echoing their joyous strains.
  2. (Chorus)
    Gloria in excelsis Deo.
    Gloria in excelsis Deo.
  3. 2. Shepherds, why this jubilee?
    Why your joyous strains prolong?
    What the gladsome tidings be
    Which inspire your heav'nly song?
  4. 3. Come to Bethlehem and see
    Him whose birth the angels sing;
    Come, adore on bended knee
    Christ the Lord, the newborn King.
  5. Text: French carol, ca. 1862
    Music: French carol

No comments: