I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Friday, December 23, 2016

LDS Hymn #212


This is such a fun one to sing! The verses are short--basically one line. And then the really fun chorus with moving parts, especially that bass part! Kind of fun to play with the organ--though I haven't spent a lot of time attempting it. Easier on the piano for sure. But it is a fun one to sing in unison and then break out into those fun parts on the chorus.
Starts with the angels' part of the story, and then applies it to how we can join in the song, which then spreads this to the more worldwide joy, not just what took place on those plains with the shepherds.

Favorite lines: Pretty much the line for Verses 2, 3, and 4. Yep. Redeeming love. We too would rejoice. Help us to sing. Strains sublime. So beautiful! And joyful to sing!

From the history book
This is the one! I knew there was a Christmas hymn written by an LDS man. He wrote this in 1869 for his choir to sing, since he felt they needed a new hymn to sing. A friend wrote some text, but he could not get a tune to work. Then he woke in the middle of the night with the words and tune for this. The words were different from his friend's, but he wanted to give his friend the credit. The friend refused and let John take full credit. This is the only song that he wrote lyrics for, since composing was his talent. The tune is named after his wife. And it points out that there are no plains where the shepherds tended their flocks--they were hills. But it is excused for a man who had never been to that part of the world. He and his friend collaborated on other hymns, one of which is in our current hymnal.

Lyrics

  1. 1. Far, far away on Judea's plains,
    Shepherds of old heard the joyous strains:
  2. (Chorus)
    Glory to God, Glory to God,
    Glory to God in the highest;
    Peace on earth, goodwill to men;
    Peace on earth, goodwill to men!
  3. 2. Sweet are these strains of redeeming love,
    Message of mercy from heav'n above:
  4. 3. Lord, with the angels we too would rejoice;
    Help us to sing with the heart and voice:
  5. 4. Hasten the time when, from ev'ry clime,
    Men shall unite in the strains sublime:
  6. Text and music: John Menzies Macfarlane, 1833-1892

No comments: