I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, December 22, 2016

LDS Hymn #209

Hymn #209 - Hark! The Herald Angels Sing




This is one of those exciting songs, rather than one of the slower ones. The joyous "Hallelujah" kind! In this song, you almost get to feel like the angels themselves singing and proclaiming the Savior's birth.

My favorite lines: "Light and life to all he brings" and "Born that man no more may die."

From the history book
The book mentions being part of the angel choir, too. The text was first published in 1739. Some wording changes made in hymnody. And two verses that didn't correspond to LDS beliefs were not included in our 1985 hymnal (which might make sense why there are only 2 and I felt it was a bit short!). I have heard one of those hymns in my version of the song by Linda Eder. Felix Mendelssohn's melody is the song that eventually was set to this hymn. He wrote it in honor of the 400th anniversary of the invention of printing and didn't thing the tune would ever serve as a musical setting for a sacred text. Thank goodness he wasn't right!

Lyrics

  1. 1. Hark! the herald angels sing
    Glory to the newborn King!
    Peace on earth and mercy mild,
    God and sinners reconciled!
    Joyful, all ye nations, rise;
    Join the triumph of the skies;
    With th'angelic host proclaim
    Christ is born in Bethlehem!
  2. (Chorus)
    Hark! the herald angels sing
    Glory to the newborn King!
  3. 2. Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace!
    Hail the Son of Righteousness!
    Light and life to all he brings,
    Ris'n with healing in his wings.
    Mild he lays his glory by,
    Born that man no more may die;
    Born to raise the sons of earth,
    Born to give them second birth.
  4. Text: Charles Wesley, 1707-1788
    Music: Felix Mendelssohn, 1809-1847

No comments: