I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, December 4, 2016

LDS Hymn #39


This is not one I could call the tune to mind if asked. But looking at the hymn, I can figure it out. It has some fun running parts for the women. The text is to all the Saints of Zion (meaning all the Church). It is a pleading to all of us of what to do because of the great blessings and reasons we haev to rejoice with the Gospel being restored in our day.

From the history book
It mentions that 2 parables are referenced in the hymn. That would explain the familiarity of some of the text. The text was in existence when the tune composer provided the musical setting, giving it a bit of a march quality. The hymn used to be called "O Sons of Zion," which likely got mistaken to be a Priesthood hymn, so it was not sung as much. Thus the change for the 1985 hymnal.

Lyrics

  1. 1. O Saints of Zion, hear the voice
    Of Him from courts on high.
    Prepare the pathway of the Lord;
    His reign on earth is nigh.
    Prepare the supper of the Lamb;
    Invite the world to dine.
    Behold, the mighty Bridegroom comes
    In majesty divine.
  2. 2. Entreat the Lord in humble prayer
    That all the sons of men
    His righteous kingdom will receive
    And shout the glad "amen."
    The sacred keys are now restored;
    Declare the gospel plan.
    Make known the wondrous words of truth
    Revealed again to man.
  3. 3. Behold, the glory of the Lord
    Sets Zion's mount aglow,
    For Zion is an ensign pure;
    All nations to her flow.
    O Saints of Zion, tread the paths
    Your faithful fathers trod.
    Lift up your hearts in gratitude
    And serve the living God!
  4. Text: Ed M. Rowe, 1878-1951. (c) 1948 IRI
    Music: Robert P. Manookin, 1918-1997. (c) 1948 IRI

No comments: