I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Friday, December 23, 2016

LDS Hymn #211



I know I sang this growing up, but honestly the main memories I have of this song are recent--trying to play this on the organ, with the pedal. I spent months on it and still never passed it to her satisfaction. The irony is my teacher isn't a huge fan of this particular hymn, and I didn't love it to begin with. I don't dislike it, but all those months of playing it brought mostly frustration. So I am hoping to some day be able to appreciate this hymn again. We'll start with today's entry!

The hymn is the angels parts of the story with the shepherds, with scripture-based quotes. Favorite line is the very last: "Goodwill henceforth from heav'n to men Begin and never cease."

From the history book
Written in 1700. It has been around awhile. Emma Smith included a version in the 1841 hymnal. It mentions that it has been paired with many tunes in hymnals. I believe that is why my organ teacher doesn't like this one, because she prefers a different tune. Maybe I should research some of the other tunes and I will appreciate this song bettter!

Lyrics

  1. 1. While shepherds watch'd their flocks by night,
    All seated on the ground,
    The angel of the Lord came down,
    And glory shone around.
    "Fear not," said he, for mighty dread
    Had seized their troubled mind;
    "Glad tidings of great joy I bring
    To you and all mankind."
  2. 2. "To you, in David's town this day,
    Is born of David's line
    The Savior who is Christ the Lord,
    And this shall be the sign:
    The heav'nly Babe you there shall find
    To human view displayed,
    All meanly wrapped in swathing bands,
    And in a manger laid."
  3. 3. Thus spake the seraph, and forthwith
    Appeared a shining throng
    Of angels praising God, who thus
    Addressed their joyful song:
    "All glory be to God on high
    And on the earth be peace.
    Goodwill henceforth from heav'n to men
    Begin and never cease."
  4. Text: Nahum Tate, 1652-1715; based on Luke 2:8-14
    Music: Yorkshire carol, ca. 1800


No comments: