I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, December 11, 2016

LDS Hymn #44



This is one I do remember singing when I was growing up. I liked the chorus as a child. As I got older, I liked the Soprano-Tenor duet in line 3. It's actually a fairly easy one to play--maybe even the organ considering the bass/pedal part. The Zion in this song does not refer to the Zion we are trying to build on earth, but to the one we look forward to going to in heaven one day. It is a hopeful view of what lies beyond when we move on from this life, which helps to alleviate fears that may accompany.

From the history book
Another hymn--and one about a Zion--written by someone not of the LDS faith. He wrote it as a missionary in the Cook Islands. The composer was LDS, and a self-taught musician. The words had first been published in 1864. Not sure when the tune was connected to the text, but at least by 1906 when the composer passed away.

Lyrics

  1. 1. Beautiful Zion, built above;
    Beautiful city that I love;
    Beautiful gates of pearly white;
    Beautiful temple--God its light;
    He who was slain on Calvary
    Opens those pearly gates to me.
  2. (Chorus]
    Zion, Zion, lovely Zion;
    Beautiful Zion;
    Zion, city of our God!
  3. 2. Beautiful heav'n, where all is light;
    Beautiful angels clothed in white;
    Beautiful strains that never tire;
    Beautiful harps thru all the choir;
    There shall I join the chorus sweet,
    Worshiping at the Savior's feet.
  4. 3. Beautiful crowns on ev'ry brow;
    Beautiful palms the conq'rors show;
    Beautiful robes the ransomed wear;
    Beautiful all who enter there;
    Thither I press with eager feet;
    There shall my rest be long and sweet.

No comments: