I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sing, Sing a Song--Make it Simple to Last Your Whole Life Long

May I just say, I almost stood up during Conference to cheer when Elder Jensen spoke on this topic. The music in church sadly gets so neglected or ignored or passed over too much. This was something I'd always noticed growing up, as it was particularly important to me but not-so with the majority of others. But with my callings of the last 8 months, I notice it even more. Although I have noticed it has been thought of enough to have people complain and accuse me of what I try to do to add to Church with what music has to offer. Oh well. At least Heavenly Father, my Savior, and the Branch Presidency appreciate my efforts.


"The hymns of the Restoration carry with them the spirit of conversion. They came as a result of sacrifice . . . [and] reinforce the great truths of the Restoration--such as the divinity of the Father and the Son, the plan of redemption, revelation, latter day scriptures, the gathering of Israel, the holy priesthood, and the ordinances and covenants. These nourishing hymns create an atmosphere that invites the Spirit, which leads us to conversion."

Jay E. Jensen, "The Nourishing Power of Hymns," Ensign, May 2007, 12

No comments: