I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Reflections on Another Year

It is my birthday eve! And as I am wont to do, I have been reflecting on what the last year has been. What it has included. What I have been challenged with and blessed with. If and how I've grown. And much, much more.

This last year has been quite full. The biggest part would probably be in the social area, which before had been the least active and effectual in my entire life. I am very grateful for the opportunities I have had and the experiences the Lord has blessed me with. I've had to do as Sister Snell counsels: put in a good faith effort. It has not been easy! As far out of my introvert comfort zone as I could possibly get. But she was right--the Lord truly has matched my efforts. I have had many a great time getting to know new people, making more friends, enjoying dances, laughing, conversing, and having fun. My dating life increased by 500%! And I am so happy and feel more beautiful and confident than ever before. That part of life has been great.

I received a new calling. I rather dreaded it at first, because it hadn't proved a very great one when I had it a few years previous. But it has been such a wonderful calling! I love those I serve with. Many have expressed appreciation. And I get to work in a medium that I adore (aka music). It has become something I cherish.

Things at work have been amazing, too. I've really had to stretch in some capacities. I've had successes and joys and a whole lot of fun. A lot of stress, yes. But it is good, positive stress and I don't mind the resulting eye twitching and migraines too much.

And we won't even go into the lessons, experiences, trials, and joys that have come in being a homeowner.

What I feel I could improve on is the spiritual aspect of my life. I mean, I've had some great scripture studies, and wonderful Institute classes. I get to attend Sunday School and Relief Society lessons again. I've been able to substitute a few times in teaching Primary, YM/YW, and Sunday School. But after our recent Stake Conference two weeks ago, I felt I could and should be doing more. At my age, my parents were raising 7 children. (OK, Mom had 6, but I was on my way, so....) They were teaching their children about the Gospel. President Thomas S. Monson was serving as a mission president. Joseph Smith was in Kirtland and Missouri, trying to not only lead a people and teach them of the Gospel, but also to protect them from mobs and persecution. The Savior was in the middle of his ministry. If they could all do this at only 32, surely I can be doing something as well.

Something came to mind, and I am going to try to take on the challenge. Every day during my next year, I plan to blog about a Gospel principle/message/topic. Not sure what may come as I write, but write I will. And we shall see what comes of it all in this next year, which I'm sure is going to be as amazing--probably more so--as this closing year.

No comments: