I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Gospel Message Day 4

Faith, Part 3

We (the Sterling Singers) had another one of our choirsides tonight. I love the songs we sing. They each touch my soul in different ways. They help me feel the Spirit testify of truths that I have faith in, and in turn give me a chance to share that increasing testimony with others.

One of the songs that has particularly touched me is "Be Still." Based on a scripture I have always loved (Psalm 46:10 and Doctrine & Covenants 101:16), the lyrics are perfect and set to such beautiful music.

Be still and know that I am God. 
Be still and know that I am with you. 
Be still and know that I will comfort you 
When you come to Me in your hour of need. 
Be still and know that I am God. 
Be still and know that I am here for you; 
And I will wipe your tears; 
You will be renewed.  
Come unto me, my child, be still, 
And know that I will give you rest. 
I am present in your pain 
And I always will remain 
Your Comforter and Friend. 
Peace I leave with you; 
My peace I give unto you. Peace. 
Be still and know that I am God. 
Be still. Be still.   

To hear the arrangement, go here.

I absolutely love the line "I am present in your pain/And I always will remain/Your Comforter and Friend." I have the firmest faith in that. Anyone who has steadily read this irregularly written blog knows that. 

It puts me in mind of the other "Be Still" song that I have loved for many years. It is by Hilary Weeks, and it has been played on my iPod during many a trial.

(Us)
Another day.
I'll try again.
But can you tell me
Will the hurting ever end?

I've been taught
And I believe,
But it's been awhile
Since I've been on my knees.

But I need you by my side;
I don't have the strength
To make it on my own.
And Lord, do you hear my prayer?
How soon will you answer me?

(Lord)
I know you're weary.
I know you've had all you can bear.
And now you ask of me on bended knee;
I promise I'll be there.

I've watched you struggle,
Yet I can see how much you've grown.
Child, could you feel my power in your darkest hour?
You were not alone.

Be still and know that I am God.
I'm by your side,
Whom shall you fear?
I'll give you strength, my child,
I am here.
Be still and know that I am God
And there's no prayer
That I don't hear.
Lift up your head,
My child.
I am here.
(Great music video of this here.)

My life, like so many others', has not been easy. Every one has their own trials; I have had mine. I have been the victim of abuse (more than one kind). I have had to pack up my life and start over again in new places multiple times. I have been abandoned, neglected, and/or forgotten by friends--usually because of the aforementioned moves. I have known what it is to love with my entire being, only to not have that love returned. I have had to deal with illnesses that will affect me for the rest of my life. I have lived many years with 2 of my 3 greatest desires being unfulfilled. 

But I have faith. Faith that the Lord will keep His promise to me that one day, my desires will be fulfilled. I hold on to that faith, which builds the hope and fuels me to act however I need to to help bring about the fulfillment of those desires. I hold on to faith that one day, in the next life, I will be healed of my infirmities. I have faith that where ever I go I will find friends and I will be happy with new experiences and surroundings. I had faith when I relied on the Atonement of my Savior and allowed its healing and strengthening power enable me to face, cope, and eventually move on from the pain of abandonment, neglect, and abuse. I still have faith in that enabling power and rely on it every day of my life for the smaller trials that I constantly deal with. 

1 Peter 3: 15 says, "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you." I have my answer: I have faith in my Savior 

No comments: