I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Insights

"Many of you study foreign languages. You might like to start reading the Book of Mormon in another language. When you read the scriptures in another language, you learn what the words mean in a new way."

Julie B. Beck, "My Soul Delighteth in the Scriptures," Ensign, May 2004, 108

My senior year in high school I began reading the Book of Mormon in French, going off something my brother A. had said to me when he returned from his mission. It went in slow intervals as I attended college. And then I finally knuckled down to it and got through. It was around then that I had begun a scripture journal. I love going back and reading some of those entries, because I did learn--just as Sister Beck said--"what the words mean in a new way." The scriptures came alive to me in so many new and exhilarating ways. I have the book in Chinese, too, but I think it will take much longer than the 6 years in French. Still, it is a great way to get new insights, and I'm so glad I was supported in this by a church leader whom I greatly admire!

No comments: