I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Mothers All Around Us

"I take great delight in my role as a nurturer, which allows me to express my deepest identity as a woman. I never fail to be struck by the way that women, young women, and even little girls seem to have an instinctive interest and ability in nurturing. It is not only a mother's primary responsibility but also part of our 'individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose' ("The Family: A Proclamation to the World," Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102). To nurture is to teach, to foster development, to promote growth, to feed, and to nourish. Who would not shout for joy at being given such a blessed role? "The scriptures use the word nurture only twice and in both cases speak of the responsibility of parents to raise their children 'in the nurture and admonition of the Lord' (Ephesians 6:4; Enos 1:1).

Susan W. Tanner, "My Soul Delighteth in the Things of the Lord," Ensign, May 2008, 82

An odd way to see this, but yes, the Lord truly has given the role of nurturer to all female creations--including animals. In my new place of abode, there are two dogs. The female dog knew that I was having a rough time. (I think having a hard time to keep from crying, and then no longer being able to cry because the tear ducts cannot produce any more tears could be considered a rough time.) From the time I came down for breakfast, she was there at my side. Even went back upstairs with me just so I could get my keys and saw me to the door as I left. As soon as I returned home (early) from work, she immediately found me in my room--was waiting right outside of the bathroom instead of exploring my belongings. She stayed by my side the entire time she was out of the kennel. Sis. E. said usually she follows her like a shadow. But today, she came and curled up with me as I nursed my wounded soul, and slept on and off in hopes that I could rally after being well-rested. It felt so nice to know that one of God's creatures--no matter how lowly--cared so much to make sure I felt good and loved today. It was also nice to have Sis. E. there to completely understand if not the cause at least the trial of the disjointed, unhappy state of my spirit and mind. It's nice to know the Lord Himself is there "at all times, and in all things, and in all places" (Mosiah 18:9).

No comments: