I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 4

After Samuel proclaimed the prophecies, some chose to believe. Others did not. Those who did not believe persecuted those who did. (Something we see still today.) The unbelievers began to mock the believers when they believed the time had passed for the signs which Samuel had prophesied of. But it wasn't just mocking. 3 Nephi chapter 1 tells this story. In verse 6, the unbelievers mock. Verses 7 and 8, the believers are sorrowful, and yet "they did watch steadfastly." It is the same for us. Are we not to watch steadfastly? Christ will be coming again. We must watch for it and prepare for it. And part of that watching and preparing is helping others to do so. And recognizing the Lord's hand in all things. And, indeed, freely sharing His love with those around us. These are all things I have been trying to work on recently. I think once in a while I falter in my duties of watching. But then I take another firm hold upon my faith and press forward. I have to watch. My life wouldn't be what it is, and I wouldn't be who I am if I did not watch. And live for it. I would have no true happiness. I wonder if that is how it was for the Nephites who watched for the signs. 

Yet they had more at stake. In verse 9 we see that "there was a day set apart by the unbelievers, that all those who believed in those traditions should be put to death exept the sign should come to pass." Maybe the members in the beginnings of the LDS church had to defend their homes, families, and very lives for what they believed. But I peronally do not have that threat over me. I do have ostracization and ridicule and even shunning. But my life has not been threatened, yet. And I am still free to believe as I do, and hope, watch, and live for the time when our Savior comes again. 

Certainly, reason to rejoice: I am free to love my Savior. To believe in Him. To worship Him. To become like Him. To be understood, succored, and lifted by Him. To have Him as the greatest, truest friend I have ever known. If only I could show my full gratitude to Him for all He has done and still does for me. If only I could share it with others. "If Only..." It makes me think of two songs. One from "Whistle Down the Wind," when she sings "'If only it was so'--these are the loneliest words I know." It is that which makes me realize to stop being an If Only and just do what I wish I could do. Which is why I'm sharing all of this with you. I cannot help but share it. Which brings me to the other song, called "If Only." It is a duet my sister and I have been singing for years. These are the lyrics:

If only they had known.
If only they could understand.
If only they had looked into His eyes 
To understand what sort of man.
If only they had seen.
If only they had known.

If only they had heard
With open hearts and open minds.
If only they had listened to the words He spoke--
The greatest of all time.
If only they had heard.
If only they had known.

Had I been there
Could I stem the tide?
Could I stand my ground 
And hold on till the end?
Or, in my weakness, 
Would I fail the test?
Would I show my faith
And prove myself a friend?

If only I could know.
If only I had felt the pain.
How could I do the things I've done?
At times it seems 
He sacrificed in vain.
If only I could feel.
If only I could know.

If only I could show
The gratitude I feel inside.
Despite my weakness
Every time I try to change
His love can't be denied.
It's hidden in my heart.
It's written in my soul.
Want to share it with you now--
If only you could know.

No comments: