I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, December 15, 2008

Day 11

President Gordon B. Hinckley (our 15th prophet in these latter days) once said, "We must think about His death as we celebrate His birth--because without the death, it was just another birth."

In the LDS religion, the death was not just His crucifixion, but all that surrounded that. That would mean the Atonement (and later His Resurrection). The pains Christ suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane were experienced again when He was on the cross. All of that was His sacrifice to buy us back from an awful state of misery. He felt every pain and sorrow we have ever and will ever feel. It's what causes Him to be the only one who can truly succor us. During a most difficult time of my life a little over a year ago, I read a passage in the scriptures that I had never quite noticed before. Now it is one of my favorites. It is what I remember was the whole reason He came to earth.

The scripture is in Alma, chapter 7, verses 11-12.

No comments: