I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Peace and Joy of Repentance and Forgiveness

"When we sin and desire forgiveness, a broken heart and a contrite spirit mean to experience 'godly sorrow [that] worketh repentance' (2 Corinthians 7:10). This comes when our desire to be cleansed from sin is so consuming that our hearts ache with sorrow and we yearn to feel at peace with our Father in Heaven. Those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit are willing to do anything and everything that God asks of them, without resistance or resentment. We cease doing things our way and learn to do them God's way instead. In such a condition of submissiveness, the Atonement can take effect and true repentance can occur. The penitent will then experience the sanctifying power of the Holy Ghost, which will fill them with peace of conscience and the joy of reconciliation with God. In a wondrous union of divine attributes, the same God who teaches us to walk with a broken heart invites us to rejoice and to be of good cheer."

Bruce D. Porter, "A Broken Heart and a Contrite Spirit," Ensign, Nov. 2007, 32

I can testify with an absolute surety that this is true. Only a week before I heard this message, I was able to come to an end of immense suffering that had lasted about 2/3 of my life. Heavenly Father requires that we forgive all, including ourselves. And I had held myself guilty of past indiscretions which hindered so much of my life's progress. At that point in my life, the "broken heart and contrite spirit" meant me at my utmost low and humbled state. There was no one to turn to and no where to go but Heavenly Father. And I knew that. And that was where I went. And I felt the healing and cleansing power of the Atonement as I never possibly could have before in my life. And I do testify that the Holy Ghost did indeed fill me "with peace of conscience and the joy of reconciliation with God." 

This peace and joy can be available to all, for repentance and forgiveness are blessings we all may partake of. Certainly not easy, but most definitely worth it.

No comments: