I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ezra Taft Benson, "Our Priceless Heritage," Ensign, Nov. 1976, 34

"Our Mormon forebears covenanted their lives!--and not a few gave them. The following places hallow the memory of the latter-day martyrs: Jackson County; Crooked River (where one of the Twelve was martyred); Haun's Mill; Carthage; Nauvoo; and the unmarked graves along the Mormon trail. They gave their fortunes!--and many, if not most, lost their lands, homes, and businesses. They gave their sacred honor!--this by covenant to God. "They came west with the faith that God had 'set his hand again the second time' (2 Ne. 21:11) to restore the house of Israel. They knew that they were a part of this great movement. They were converted to the truth that the Church of Jesus Christ had been restored again on the earth through the instrumentality of a latter-day Prophet, Joseph Smith, and that following his martyrdom, the keys of the priesthood had been continued through Joseph's ordained successor, Brigham Young. They believed themselves to be God-directed and prophet-led. Their conviction inspired their sacrifices."

No comments: