I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lessons from The Title of Liberty

Today, my family/personal scripture study was Alma 46. While I was reading, some thoughts came to my mind that sounded very familiar. I finally figured out that they were some things I had gotten out of this chapter the last time I had been through The Book of Mormon. So I thought I would share that Scripture Journal entry, as well as part of what I wrote today.

August 6, 2008

The other thing was Moroni raising the title of liberty on every tower in the land. That he "planted the standard of liberty among the Nephites." Are our standards planted within us? Given a place where they can take root, have firm ground, be nourished, and swell to grow? Is that what we do with not only our standards but also our testimonies, faith, values, beliefs, worthy and righteous causes, love? Do we plant them so they are a part of us instead of just hold them to look at them and use them once in a while? If we plant them within, then they have the opportunity to become an inseparable part of who we are. Then nothing we say, do, or think will be done without the influence and effect of those things that have come to make up who we are.

October 5, 2007

This is an excellent chapter for so many reasons. For one, I love the title of liberty. I love the standard of it. I love how Captain Moroni prayed for its cause. I love that the people were asked to covenant to keep it. And I especially love that "the people came running." Do we run to the truth? Do we run to defend the Church, the Gospel, our freedoms, and our families? We cannot saunter to the task. We must always be prepared to defend. We must always be fortified against the evils that beat us and lash at us. But when the enemy is threatening at the gate, the time to act is short and requires immediate action. Any delays give the adversary time and advantage to weaken defenses. We must run. We must be ready and willing to run. Our services are needed in the war against evil. We must do everything we can to make sure our services are beneficial. And then we must run when the Lord calls. Sounds pretty simple? Then why are so many of us still meandering along--or worse, sleeping? Awake and Arise and Come Running!

No comments: