I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

To Be a Mother

“Thinking of the example of his own mother and that of his beloved and faithful wife, Flora, President Benson has offered ten specific suggestions for mothers as they guide their precious children:

1. Take time to always be at the crossroads in the lives of your children, whether they be six or sixteen.

2. Take time to be a real friend to your children.

3. Take time to read to your children. Remember what the poet wrote: 
You may have tangible wealth untold; 
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. 
Richer than I you can never be— 
I had a mother who read to me.

4. Take time to pray with your children.

5. Take time to have a meaningful weekly home evening. Make this one of your great family traditions.

6. Take time to be together at mealtimes as often as possible.

7. Take time daily to read the scriptures together as a family.

8. Take time to do things together as a family.

9. Take time to teach your children.

10. Take time to truly love your children.

A mother’s unqualified love approaches Christlike love (see Ezra Taft Benson, To the Mothers in Zion, pamphlet, 1987, pp. 8–12; see also Ezra Taft Benson, Come, Listen to a Prophet’s Voice, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1990, pp. 32–36).”

Thomas S. Monson, “Memories of Yesterday, Counsel for Today,” Ensign, May 1992, 4–5

I can testify that my wonderful mother followed these 10 things as she was raising her 8 children. #1--my mother tried to attend almost everyone of my choir concerts, and dragged a squirming young 4-year old to track meets just so she could cheer for me during those never-ending 2-mile races that everyone knew I would never win. It's because of #3 that I love reading so much, and even chose my interest (writing) and profession (librarian)--with a great influence on that from my mother as well. Our daily meals, prayers, scripture studies, and weekly times together as a family learning lessons and playing games are the best memories of my childhood. Time with my parents--there was nothing better than that. As my Proclamation on the Family professor often said: It isn't quality time but quantity time. And my mother gave it to each of us.

I love my mother. I could never say it enough. And I could never say enough how much I truly do love her and am grateful to all that she did and does for me and our family. Abraham Lincoln pretty much summed it up:
All that I am or ever hope to be,
I owe to my angel mother.

No comments: