I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bear All Things Patiently

" 'Our challenges are just as important as those of the past. Our testing is as crucial; our contributions may be as great. . . .

" 'An essential quality of the first pioneers was optimism, an ability to see new possibilities in a strange and unsettling environment. To beautify the desert, they needed faith in God, but they also needed faith in themselves and in their ability to help shape the world. The need for that faith has not diminished. . . .

" 'A pioneer is not [necessarily] a woman who makes her own soap' or a man who grubs sagebrush from the land. Pioneers are those who take up their burdens and walk toward the future. With vision and with courage they make the desert blossom and they press on toward new frontiers. (Laurel Thatcher Ulrich)"

David B. Haight, "A Call to Serve," Ensign, Nov. 1988, 82–83

I added my own emphasis to this quote--things that speak to me, and that I need to remind myself of frequently. It brings peace, comfort, joy, assurance, confidence, inspiration, and determination. And I feel to simply add to it the following, a favorite scripture of mine:

Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed. -Doctrine & Covenants 123:17

No comments: