I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Duty to Family

"[Women are] to strengthen families and homes. Families worldwide are being assaulted and weakened by corrupt practices and false teachings. . . .

"The First Presidency has counseled, 'However worthy and appropriate other demands or activities may be, they must not be permitted to displace the divinely-appointed duties that only parents and families can adequately perform' (First Presidency letter, Feb. 11, 1999). . . ."

Julie B. Beck, "Fulfilling the Purpose of Relief Society," Ensign, Nov. 2008, 110

I especially love that last bit of counsel and that she included "however worthy and appropriate." They may be so, but are they worthwhile when the family is the most important duty and it becomes neglected from those other things? I think not. Especially if the leaders are saying so.

No comments: