I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Patience for Answers

"President Joseph F. Smith gave these sobering words of advice to leaders and members of the Church to help us when making decisions. It is a statement I have had displayed in my office since becoming Presiding Bishop.

“'In leaders undue impatience and a gloomy mind are almost unpardonable, and it sometimes takes almost as much courage to wait as to act. It is to be hoped, then, that the leaders of God’s people, and the people themselves, will not feel that they must have at once a solution of every question that arises to disturb the even tenor of their way.' (Joseph F. Smith,Gospel Doctrine, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1939, p. 156.)"

-Robert D. Hales, "Making Righteous Choices at the Crossroads of Life," Ensign, Nov. 1988, p.9 (emphasis added)

This quote of President Smith's stood out to me as I read this article today. Note the emphasis that I added. It is something I know, but must remind myself again and again. Answers or solutions come in the Lord's time. And that doesn't just go for things I ask for myself, but for counsel I may be asked for from those I lead. Or counsel I have asked of those who lead me. Patience in every regard, every aspect. The Lord answers in His time, and we can be absolutely sure that it is the best time, and the best answer.

No comments: