I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, February 20, 2017

LDS Hymn #69



In the key of C, this is one of my easier hymns to play and it even has some moving parts. Though there are parts my small hands cannot reach the span in the men's parts. Still in the Praising section, this has a more older feel to its language (and I looked at the composer and lyricist info--makes sense why!). May favorite part is all of Verse 3, mentioning the songs sung before He was crucified and resurrected, and then the songs we sing to Him now that He is exalted and asking Him to accept our praises and love now.

From the history book
I like that it mentions on what we call Palm Sunday there were crowds of joyous followers, yet after he was arrested their loyalty faded. Then it asks "Are we among those who will remain faithful to the Savior in times of persecution and hardship? This song was originally a Latin hymn that was 78 lines long! It was written in 820 A.D., intended as a processional hymn on Palm Sunday. There is a legend associated with the hymn: The author was imprisoned by an emperor because the latter thought he was conspiring against him with his relatives. During the procession in Orleans while the emperor was visiting, they happened to stop under the tower where the composer was imprisoned and a voice was heard singing this hymn over the procession. The emperor wanted to know who the unseen singer was and was moved by what he heard. He pardoned his prisoner and sent him back to being a bishop. The legend they believe is fake, but shows how popular the hymn has been--lasting well over a thousand years in Christianity. The current hymnal is the first time an LDS hymnal included this hymn. A word change to reflect our doctrine (praise and love rather than prayer). And the tune is always what is paired with this hymn, which matches a marching processional.

Lyrics

  1. 1. All glory, laud, and honor
    To thee, Redeemer, King,
    To whom the lips of children
    Made sweet hosannas ring.
    Thou art the King of Israel,
    Thou David's royal Son,
    Who in the Lord's name comest,
    The King and Blessed One.
  2. 2. The company of angels
    Are praising thee on high,
    And mortal men and all things
    Created make reply.
    The people of the Hebrews
    With palms before thee went;
    Our praise and love and anthems
    Before thee we present.
  3. 3. To thee, before thy passion,
    They sang their hymns of praise;
    To thee, now high exalted,
    Our melody we raise.
    Thou didst accept their praises;
    Accept the love we bring,
    Who in all good delightest,
    Thou good and gracious King.
  4. Text: Theodulph of Orleans, ca. 760-821
    Music: Melchior Teschner, 1584-1635

No comments: