I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, February 6, 2017

LDS Hymn #63


A hymn not often sung in our congregations. A fairly simple melody and only two verses. Seems like an obvious choice to me, but, well..... Yeah. Part of the praising songs. The first verse works especially well for the close of a meeting because, at least for me, that is how I feel after being fed by the Spirit--longing to raise my heart in prayer and praise.

From the history book
It points out that the hymn unites two thoughts--prayer of gratitude and then our realization that the wonders of nature also praise God. This connects with Psalm 145:10--"All they works shall praise thee, O Lord." She also quotes Ralph Waldo Emerson when he said "Therefore is Nature ever the ally of Religion: lends all her pomp and riches to the religious sentiment." So true!

Lyrics

  1. 1. Great King of heav'n, our hearts we raise
    To thee in prayer, to thee in praise.
    The vales exult, the hills acclaim,
    And all thy works revere thy name.
  2. 2. O Israel's God! Thine arm is strong.
    To thee all earth and skies belong,
    And with one voice in one glad chord,
    With myriad echoes, praise the Lord.
  3. Text: Carrie Stockdale Thomas, 1848-1931. (c) 1948 IRI
    Music: Leroy J. Robertson, 1896-1971. (c) 1948 IRI

No comments: